Last Updated October 2015
Thank you for visiting the SPRINGER PUBLISHING COMPANY!
We at Springer Publishing are committed to protecting the information that you share with us, and explaining how we collect, process, and share that information online.
- You Consent to Transfer Your Personal Information to the United States
- What types of Personal Information do we collect about our online visitors?
- Do we advertise online?
- How we use and share your Personal Information?
- What choices do you have about the collection, use, and sharing of your Personal Information?
- What kinds of security measures do we take to safeguard your Personal Information?
- How can you access, update, or block your Personal Information?
- Minors and Children Under 13
We receive and store certain types of information from you whenever you interact with our Sites to deliver the products you request from us, and help improve your overall shopping experience. For example, like many other websites, we store “cookies” and other web-based files on user devices to get certain types of information when your web browser accesses our Site.
Information You Provide. We generally collect only Personal Information you voluntarily provide to us. We don't require you to give us Personal Information to access certain public areas of our Site. This is true unless you live in a country that defines Personal Information to include network identifiers like your Internet Protocol addresses. For some secure areas of our Site, however, we require you to provide Personal Information when you use specific features. For example, we collect Personal Information from you when you:
1. Ask to register for an account with us;
2. Sign up for newsletters;
3. Purchase our products at one of our online stores;
4. Participate in promotions or surveys;
5. Submit comments, reviews, or other user-generated content;
6. Connect or interact with us through social networks (e.g., Facebook, Google+, Twitter); and
7. Request customer or technical support.
This Personal Information, for example, may include your:
2. Postal or billing address;
3. E-mail address;
4. Telephone or mobile number;
5. Payment card information;
6. Location via IP address;
7. Device being used (for our mobile site); and
8. Previous shopping history with Springer Publishing.
If you can’t or choose not to provide us with the Personal Information we reasonably require, we may be unable to provide you with the information or services you have requested.
Information Collected Through Technology. We also obtain information in other ways through technology. Some of this information may be linked to you personally. This information helps our Sites function correctly and supports the work we do to understand the needs of our customers.
Device Information. Depending on the permissions you’ve granted and other factors, we may receive information about your location and your mobile device when you download or use apps created by our Sites, including a unique identifier for your device. We may use this information to provide you with location-based services, such as advertising, certain player search results, and other personalized content. Examples of the device information we collect include:
• Attributes such as the operating system, hardware version, device settings, file and software names and types, battery and signal strength, and device identifiers. • Device locations, including specific geographic locations, such as through GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi signals. • Connection information such as the name of your mobile operator or ISP, browser type, language and time zone, mobile phone number and IP address. Most mobile devices allow you to turn off location services, and we encourage you to contact your device manufacturer for detailed instructions on how to do that.
Payment Information. If you purchase a product on our Site, we will collect payment card information from you, including your name, expiration date, authentication code, and billing address. We will securely transmit this information consistent with payment card industry rules to the appropriate payment facilitators. We may offer you the option to save information about the method and choice of payment on our Site. If you save this payment card information on our Site, you will be able to add, delete, or modify that information at any time using your account settings.
We advertise in a number of ways, including online through managed social media presences, and on other unaffiliated sites and mobile applications. To understand how our advertising campaigns are performing, we may collect certain information via our Sites through our advertising service providers. We or our vendors use several common online tracking tools to collect this information, such as browser cookies, web beacons and other, similar technologies. The information we collect includes IP addresses, the number of page visits, pages viewed via our Sites, search engine referrals, browsing activities over time and across other websites following your visit to one of our Sites or applications, and responses to advertisements and promotions on the websites and applications where we advertise.
We also use certain information to:
• Present tailored ads, including banner ads and splash ads that appear as you log-in or off of your online accounts via our Sites; • Identify new visitors to our Sites; • Recognize returning visitors; • Advertise on other websites and mobile applications not affiliated with us; • Analyze the effectiveness of our advertisements; • Better understand our audience, customers, or other Site visitors; and • Determine whether you might be interested in new products or services.
Controlling Our Tracking Tools. Your browser may give you the ability to control cookies. How you do so, however, depends on your browser and the type of cookie. Certain browsers can be set to reject all browser cookies. If you configure your computer to block all cookies, you may disrupt certain web page features, and limit the functionality we can provide when you visit or use our Sites. If you block or delete cookies, not all of the tracking that we have described in this policy will stop. Some browsers have a “Do Not Track” feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. These browser features are still not uniform, so we are not currently set up to respond to those signals.
Controlling Online Interest-Based Ads. We sometimes work with online advertising vendors to provide you with relevant and useful ads. This may include ads served on or through our Sites . This may also include ads served on other companies’ websites. These ads may be based on information collected by us or third parties. For example, your postal code may be used to target an ad for people in your area. These ads may also be based on your activities on our Sites or on third party websites. For more information about our ad service provider and its cookies, including information about how to opt out of these technologies, you may visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices. In addition, users may prevent Google’s collection of data generated by your use of the Sites (including your IP address) by downloading and installing a Browser Plugin available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en.
We do not share your Personal Information with unaffiliated third parties for their own direct marketing purposes. Whatever the purpose may be – whether we share with service providers or other external entities – we only process and share your Personal Information to the extent reasonably necessary to fulfill your requests and our legitimate business objectives. When we disclose Personal Information to external entities to perform support services for us, they may access your Personal Information only for the purposes of performing those support services. We may also use what we know about you to offer you other products and services. We may combine your online information with information collected from offline or online sources, or information we already have. We may also use and disclose certain Personal Information to our corporate affiliates and others for any purpose allowed by law.
Springer Publishing Business Activities. We process and may disclose your Personal Information to others to:
• Respond to your questions, complaints, or reviews of our product or services; • Administer contests, promotions, or surveys; • Send you communications about online transactions, product information, ads and promotions, electronic newsletters, or other notices or offers tailored to you; • Enable our advertisers to provide you with more personalized content, and track the effectiveness of certain advertising campaigns; • Comply with applicable law, obey judicial orders, cooperate with law enforcement authorities, or prevent any suspected illegal activities; • Help us run our business; or • For any other everyday business purposes, such as product development and Site administration.
Authorized Service Providers. We use other companies and individuals to perform certain functions on our behalf. Those functions include payment card processors, shipping vendors, call-center support, analyzing or hosting data on cloud-based servers, and other companies that help us improve our products and services. We may disclose your Personal Information to these companies and other individuals performing services in the United States or other locations where Springer Publishing conducts business.
If you signed up to receive newsletters or other marketing communications from us, you can opt-out any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the message. You can also log-in to your account to opt-out and update your marketing preferences at any time. Even after you opt-out or update your marketing preferences, please allow us sufficient time to process your marketing preferences. It may take up to 10 days to process your e-mail related requests, and up to 30 days for all other marketing-related requests. And even after you’ve opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us, we may still contact you for transactional or informational purposes. These include, for example, customer service issues, returns or product-related inquiries, surveys or recalls, or any questions regarding a specific order.
The security and confidentiality of your Personal Information matters to us. That’s why we have technical, administrative, and physical controls in place to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use, and disclosure. For example, we encrypt payment card information you submit to us using Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL”) technology that helps protect information during transport to our Site. Of course, we transmit the entire payment card number to the appropriate credit card company through our payment processing vendor during order processing in accordance with payment card rules. We also review our security procedures periodically to consider appropriate new technology and updated methods. Even so, despite our reasonable efforts, no security measure is ever perfect or impenetrable.
You can update the shipping or billing information, as well as other Personal Information, you provided to us by logging-in to the My Account page, and making the appropriate changes or corrections yourself by clicking the edit button next to “Contact Information.” You can also update your newsletter preferences by logging-in to the My Account page or contact us directly at the address below. If you wish to de-activate your account, you may do so by contacting our customer support team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you do so, your account will then be de-activated on a going-forward basis, although certain Personal Information may still be retained to the extent necessary to fulfill our legitimate business needs, comply with applicable law, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Our Sites are not intended for minors. We do not knowingly collect any Personal Information from children under the age of 13 or knowingly track the use of our Sites by minors.
Our postal address is:
Springer Publishing Company
Attn.: Privacy Office
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036
For California Residents. California Civil Code (section 1798.83) gives Springer Publishing customers who are California residents the right to request certain information about our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their own direct marketing purposes. If you wish to make this request, please e-mail, call, or write to us at the address provided above.