"[T]he increasing emphasis on quality in health care reform will almost certainly advantage psychologists who become Board Certified. The credential will increasingly become expected as a quality differentiator in the community.... In preparing this book the highly experienced authors, with many years of service as ABPP examiners, have provided a comprehensive and thoughtful guide to assist you in completing the process successfully."
From the Foreword by Gerald P. Koocher, PhD, ABPP
DePaul University Past President, American Psychological Association
This practical guide to successfully achieving Board Certification in Clinical Psychology offers experience-based methods for increasing applicant success rates. Written by a team of accomplished clinical psychologists who are experienced mentors and former American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) examiners who have participated in the work of ABPP Academies, it is the only guide to focus specifically on the clinical psychology specialty. It explains the many benefits of Board Certification, and is replete with practical advice on all aspects of the three-step certification process that includes credentialing, practice samples, and the oral examination.
The guide discusses how to find the right mentor, set realistic preparation timelines, create exemplary practice samples, and prepare for the oral exam. It provides examples of application elements such as professional work statements, practice examples, oral exam questions, and excerpts from a simulated transcript of an oral exam session. Helpful tips and handy checklists reinforce each stage of the process. The guide examines and dispels myths surrounding Board Certification that promote unnecessary anxiety, and offers examples of pitfalls to avoid during the application process. Key Features:
- Provides practical advice for successfully obtaining Board Certification in Clinical Psychology
- Is the only guide available that focuses exclusively on the Clinical Psychology certification
- Authored by experienced clinical psychologists who have long served as ABPP examiners and mentors to applicants, as well as leaders in the ABPP Academies
- Contains examples of application elements, including professional statements, practice samples, and oral exam questions
- Includes excerpts from a simulated transcript of an oral exam session