In this weekly feature, the editors of SpringBoard highlight one career in the health care professions–including a basic description, educational requirements, core competencies/key skills needed, and related web sites and professional organizations where you can find more information!
The Chief Compliance Officer (CCO) serves as the point person for all hospital compliance activities. The CCO needs to be a person of high integrity, and any other duties the CCO has should not be in conflict with the compliance goals of the hospital. Coordination and communication are the key functions of the CCO with regard to planning, implementing, and monitoring the compliance program.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Many CCOs at larger hospitals possess a law degree, although a master’s degree in business administration or health administration is frequently seen. CCOs typically have 5 or more years of experience in healthcare compliance.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively communicate with persons throughout the organization,including clinicians
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- (CMS) conditions of participation for acute care hospitals and CMS survey processes
- In-depth knowledge of external clinical quality reporting requirements
- Current knowledge of Joint Commission, state, and federal guidelines, regulations, and standards
- Must have coordinated, prepared, and participated in state, Joint Commission, and CMS surveys within past 3 years
- Current statistical knowledge and skill in developing statistical data displays
- Experience in the use of statistical and quality assessment software
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex issues
As the number of hospitals in the United States decreases slightly over the next several years, the demand for hospital budget analysts will decrease slightly as well. However, the outlook for these jobs remains high as the healthcare market in general continues to grow.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
- Healthcare Financial Management Association http://www.hfma.org/