In this weekly feature, the editors of SpringBoard highlight one career in the health care professions – including a basic description, educational requirements, core competencies/key skills needed, and related web sites and professional organizations where you can find more information!
A bariatric nurse provides holistic care to those patients who have a diagnosis of morbid obesity. It also includes care of patients undergoing bariatric surgeries.
Registered nurse preparation and Basic Life Support certification are required; certification as bariatric nurse is offered by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
CORE COMPETENCIES/SKILLS NEEDED
- Excellent assessment and critical thinking skills
- Sensitivity to the needs of patients who are morbidly obese, and their families
- Knowledge of evidence-based practice related to bariatric medicine
RELATED WEB SITES AND PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- National Association of Bariatric Nurses (http://bariatricnurses.org/content/welcome)
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (http://www.asbs.org/Newsite07/healthcareprof/alliedhealth/cbn_handbook_2010.pdf)