In this weekly feature, the editors of SpringBoard highlight one career in the health care professions–including a basic description, educational requirements, core competencies/key skills needed, and related web sites and professional organizations where you can find more information!
The Director of Environmental Services plans, administers, and directs all activities related to environmental services, complying with the standards established by the hospital and various regulatory agencies. Leads environmental services staff and assistant managers and works to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other departments to provide a unified approach to patient care.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Directors of Environmental Services generally possess a bachelor’s degree in business administration or environmental health. To become eligible for one of these positions, the candidate must also have 4 to 6 years of hospital housekeeping experience.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively communicate with persons inside the organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Develops and maintains environmental services, in accordance with state and federal regulations, accepted standards, professional practices, and hospital policies
- Must be familiar with environmental services data management systems
- Experience at creating and maintaining job descriptions and completing annual performance reviews on all employees in a timely manner
- Working knowledge of infection control techniques
- Experience in supervising departmental personnel including: hiring; orientation; determining workload and delegating assignments; training; monitoring, scheduling, and evaluating performance; and initiating corrective and disciplinary actions
- Skilled in supporting and motivating staff at both the supervisory and hourly level
- Proficient in computer skills, including word processing and spreadsheet applications
- Ability to build and manage budgets
Directors of Environmental Services earn in the range of $60,000 to $85,000 although the total salary will vary depending on the size and location of the hospital, and the education and experience of the candidate.
Job prospects for Directors of Environmental Services are reported to be good across the country. Every hospital must maintain a highly effective environmental services department that need to be run by persons who are dedicated to providing a safe and clean setting for patients, clinicians, and visitors.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
- Association for the Healthcare Environment (http://www.ahe.org)