In this weekly feature, the editors of SpringBoard highlight one career in the health care professions–including a basic description, educational requirements, core competencies/key skills needed, and related web sites and professional organizations where you can find more information!
The Director of Pharmacy Services is responsible for the efficient operation of the hospital pharmacy. The Director establishes standards of quality, productivity, and performance, in accordance with established hospital policies and procedures and the requirements of state and federal regulatory agencies. The Director of Pharmacy Services is generally responsible to the hospital COO.
Education and Experience
Directors of Pharmacy Services are required to be licensed to practice pharmacy in the state in which they are working. A graduate degree in business administration or health administration is highly desirable. A minimum of 7 years of experience in hospital pharmacy practice is required.
Core Competencies and Skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively communicate with persons both inside and outside the organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Develops and maintains pharmacy services, in accordance with state and federal regulations, accepted standards, professional practices, and hospital policies
- Must be familiar with pharmacy services data management systems
- Experience at creating and maintaining job descriptions and completing annual performance reviews on all employees in a timely manner
- Responsible for the planning, supervision, coordination, and successful execution of all activities related to the pharmacy’s operations
- Experience in supervising departmental personnel including: hiring, orientation, determining workload and delegating assignments, training, monitoring, scheduling and evaluating performance, and initiating corrective and disciplinary actions
- Coordinates pharmacy operations commensurate with the scope of services provided and the identified needs of patients
- Proficient in developing and maintaining computerized databases
- Ability to build and manage budgets
Directors of Pharmacy Services earn in the range of $120,000 to $160,000 although the total salary will vary depending on the size and location of the hospital, and the education and experience of the candidate.
Job prospects for Directors of Pharmacy Services are reported to be excellent. Job openings will result from planned retirements of existing directors and the need to replace those who leave hospitals for other reasons.
For Further Information