Substantially expanded and updated, this classic volume provides therapists with detailed information on how to treat sexual abuse survivors more effectively. Dr. Briere offers an integrated theory of postabuse symptom development and suggests certain core phenomena that account for many of the psychosocial difficulties associated with childhood sexual abuse.
The second edition includes more information on effective trauma therapy, such as
- issues related to the false memory/recovered memory controversy;
- gender-related differences in abuse trauma;
- transference and countertransference;
- the application of behavior theory to treatment intervention.
A nationally known expert in the field, Dr. Briere has written an ideal source book for mental health professionals.
"This second edition√ñadmirably achieves its stated goal of advancing the treatment of adult survivors of abuse and supports the therapist in this most important endeavor."
- from the Foreword by Christine A. Courtois, PhD
Director of Clinical Training
The Psychiatric Institute of Washington