Because cancer in the older adult may be present in combination with other chronic conditions, including dementia and frailty, multidisciplinary care is especially important. This book provides nurses with essential information on the care and treatment of the older adult with cancer, including:
- An overview of cancer in the older adult, and barriers to treatment
- Prevention and screening of cancer in the older adult
- How to perform a comprehensive geriatric assessment, as a method for planning multidisciplinary care
- Practical applications of qualiy of life assessment and decision analysis
- Special considerations in radiation therapy and chemotherapy with the older adult
- Social and caregiver issues
This book reflects lessons learned from a nurse-physician team who planned and implemented the Senior Adult Oncology Program at the.Moffit Cancer Center and Research Institute in Florida.