"This edition...adds an important international perspective on illness and disability. The personal narratives help bring the real world of people who are suffering to the forefront of the scientific discourse."--Doody's Medical Reviews
Now in its sixth edition, this best-selling textbook continues to be the most comprehensive and diverse text available on the psychosocial aspects of disability. It examines current thought and treatment approaches to working with individuals with disabilities through the contributions of expert thinkers and practitioners in the disability field. Abundant and insightful narratives by disabled individuals offer a bridge between theory and practice for students in rehabilitation psychology and counseling courses.
In addition to completely updated and reorganized material, this edition contains insightful new section introductions, empirically based research articles, and the contributions of international researchers presenting a more global and richer perspective on the psychosocial aspects of disability and illness. It also contains an increased focus on the negative impact of societal attitudes and treatment of disabled individuals on their psychological adjustment to disability. The addition of objectives at the beginning of each chapter and review questions and personal perspectives at the end of each chapter further facilitate in-depth learning.
- Presents the most comprehensive and diverse coverage of psychosocial aspects of disability topics of any textbook available
- Examines contemporary thinking and treatment approaches in working with individuals with disabilities
- Provides a bridge between theory and practice through the narratives of individuals with disabilities
- Establishes a historical understanding of societal attitudes toward disability and treatment past and present of persons with disabilities
- Analyzes barriers to enabling persons with disabilities and improving social consciousness and quality of life for this population
- Facilitates course planning through inclusion of objectives and review questions/personal perspectives in each chapter