Praise for the First Edition:
"Developing a comprehensive differential diagnosis for a specific complaint is a daunting task even for experienced advanced practice nurses. This user-friendly clinical guide provides a strategy and standard format for working through this complex task. It is a wonderful tool for both students and new advanced practice nurses..."
This easy-access clinical guide to over 70 commonly seen symptoms, written for APRN students and new practitioners, describes a step-by-step process for obtaining a reliable patient history, choosing the appropriate physical exam, and using the patient history and physical exam findings to form a differential diagnosis. The second edition continues to include the case study approach, and is updated to incorporate 22 new symptoms along with contributions by a new editor, who is a leader in holistic health.
The guide is distinguished by several unique features including focused patient history questions and responses, Physical Exam Findings, a Differential Diagnosis Table (clearly comparing potential diagnostic choices based on symptoms), a Diagnostic Examination table (including estimated costs and codes), and a Case Study Summary highlighting the critical thinking process. Symptoms are presented alphabetically in a systematic, unfolding case study approach and include chief complaint, presenting history, past history, and explicit methodology for determining correct diagnosis.
- Describes over 70 (22 new to the second edition) commonly presented symptoms with unfolding case scenarios
- Offers a step-by-step approach to building clinical decision-making skills
- Provides quick access to differential diagnosis, requisite diagnostic tests, and clinical-decision making
- Guides students and novice nurse practitioners in conducting a problem-focused history and examination
- Includes unique Differential Diagnosis tables and Diagnostic Examinations tables that help clarify strategies for diagnostic decision making