Winner, Third Place, AJN Book of the Year Awards 2014, Advanced Practice Nursing
Praise for the Second Edition:
"This is a wonderful book for both novice and experienced physician assistants and nurse practitioners. This latest edition will see frequent use in your daily practice."
Score: 100, 5 stars—Doody's Medical Reviews
This bible of family practice for primary care students and clinicians provides current national practice guidelines for professional standards of care across the life span. Concise and clearly organized, the resource features detailed, step-by-step instructions for physical examinations and diagnostic testing in the outpatient setting, information on health promotion, care guidelines, dietary information, information on culturally responsive care, patient resources, and abundant patient education handouts.
This fourth edition is updated to include new evidence-based guidelines for rheumatology, public health (featuring updated information on substance abuse, violence, obesity, homelessness, and lesbian health), the sport physical exam and interventions, endocrinology, the 2015 Beers Criteria, new CDC recommendations for health maintenance, PTSD assessment and management, restless legs syndrome, sexual dysfunction treatment, and psychiatric disorders. Several new and updated patient teaching guides—with printable education points—add to the book’s outstanding utility as a thorough and reliable clinical resource. Each of the 268 diagnoses includes definition, incidence, pathogenesis, predisposing factors, common complaints, signs/symptoms, subjective data, physical exam and diagnostic tests, differential diagnosis, and a care plan.
New to the Fourth Edition:
- New and Updated Guidelines for:
- Rheumatology: Polymyalgia rheumatica, Sjogrens syndome, psoriatic arthopathy, pseudogout (calcium pyorphosphate dihydrate), ankylosing spondolitis, reactive arthritis, Raynaud’s syndrome
- Public Health: Substance abuse, violence, obesity, homelessness, lesbian health
- Sports Exam: Assessment and treatment
- 2015 Beers Criteria
- CDC Recommendations: Vaccine and cancer screening
- Endocrinology: Diabetes management and new FDA-approved medications
- JNC-8 Guidelines for Hypertension
- Neurology: PTSD and restless legs syndrome management
- Sexual dysfunction
- Bipolar and other behavioral health disorders
- New and updated teaching guides
- Presents information for 268 disorders in consistent format for ease of use
- Highlights key considerations with Practice Pointers
- Provides individual care points for pediatric, pregnant, and geriatric patients
- Includes 138 printable Patient Teaching guides
- Offers 18 procedure guidelines and routine health maintenance guidelines