Other activities and methods of support to consider:
- Your humanity is needed the most now. Always be available. Your very presence is reassuring to the family.
- The family is an important part of your patient care and becomes your focus as the patient becomes more unresponsive.
- Be sure families are getting rest, and breaks.
- Provide coffee, water, etc.
- Continue to be available to answer questions.
- You cannot take away their pain. Acknowledge their emotions and be present.
- Play patient’s favorite music.
- Position bed to see out a window.
- Encourage family to provide patient’s favorite hat, clothing, etc.
- Lower or mute lighting.
- Consider bringing in favorite pet.
“It is the power of our own humanity that can make a difference in the lives of others. We must value this as highly as our own expertise.”
– Puchalski and Ferrell, 2010