Focuses on careful preparation as the key to academic success
Brimming with practical ideas and useful resources, this book aims to prepare nurses at all levels to advance and attain their educational goals. Each chapter details how to prepare and stay motivated for the journey ahead, including how to stop contemplating the decision and move forward. The book addresses common barriers and fears about a return to school, such as how to handle multiple responsibilities, refresh writing skills, finance a college education, and deal with the fear of technology or being too old. Through real life examples from nurses who have faced the challenges of re-entering college, Advancing Your Nursing Degree: The Experienced Nurse’s Guide to Returning to School, details the process of selecting a program, completing an application, and orienting to college life.
In a friendly and personal voice, this book describes the current academic environment and the expectations facing students today. Included are checklists on what to look for when deciding on a school and program, how to identify gaps in computer skills, and what resources may help promote ultimate success. Each chapter builds on the previous one and contains resources and examples on preparing mentally for the rigors of school, getting family and other support systems onboard, balancing job responsibilities and schedules, sharpening academic and computer skills, setting up a study area that is conducive to success, and celebrating achievements along the way. The book also details ideas on how to finance a college education, including particular resources available to nurses. While written for nurses at all educational levels, each chapter includes specific information for graduate nurses.
- Written by a nurse for nurses at all levels of education and experience
- Focuses on thoughtful preparation, an often overlooked strategy for success when re-entering the academic environment
- Addresses the fears frequently expressed by nurses when returning to school
- Provides practical ideas and real life examples from nursing students and faculty
- Includes a checklist of items to consider when exploring program choices
- Presents strategies and resources to fund nursing education