This text reinvigorates the emphasis on the therapeutic relationship that is the core of nursing practice. It also relies on our strong history as therapists and introduces a need for integration of all aspects of care, a true holistic approach that characterizes the nursing perspective...The book should serve as a review for nurses who are studying for certification exams [and is] very useful for coursework in DNP programs as well as the masters programs in psychiatric mental health nursing.
-Grayce M. Sills, PhD, RN, FAAN
Professor Emerita, Ohio State University
From the Foreword
Now in its second edition, this groundbreaking text and reference continues to be the only resource for APRNs to focus on integrative interventions forindividuals with mental health problems across the lifespan. Combining theory and practice, it provides a clear framework for integratingpsychopharmacology, psychotherapy, and Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) into advanced practice nursing. The second edition is thoroughlyupdated to reflect current research, new classifications in DSM 5, genetic testing, and increased use of telemental health delivery. It builds upon itslifespan focus and updates quick-access pediatric pointers and aging alerts. Additionally, the resource incorporates the 2014 publication of the ANA Scopeand Standards of Practice for Psychiatric Nurses, offers a new focus on QSEN requirements, and responds to the need to reduce health disparities andaddress cultural considerations.
Organized around psychiatric syndromes, the text covers neurobiology, theory and research evidence related to psychopharmacology, psychotherapy, and CAMinterventions. It provides a virtual buffet of clear treatment options in the form of well-designed decision trees and accompanying explanatory narratives.The text also includes a section on such special considerations as substance misuse, medical problems, pregnancy, and forensic issues that often co-occurwith psychiatric syndromes. Concise, clear language and abundant charts, graphs, and algorithms enhance the books‚Äô value in supporting sound clinicalreasoning.
New to the Second Edition:
- Thoroughly updated, evidence-based content
- Encompasses new research
- Presents three completely new chapters on Integrative Management of Impulse Control, Telehealth, and Quality Improvement and Evidence-BasedPractice
- Includes the expertise of new contributors
- Reflects DSM 5 updates, ANA Standard of Practice for Psychiatric Nurses, and QSEN standards
- Updates quick-access Pediatric Pointers and Aging Alerts
- Integrates theory and practice
- Simplifies complex concepts using clear language while retaining depth of information
- Supports clinical decision-making skills through easy-to-follow Decision Trees
- Organized around psychiatric syndromes
- Edited by internationally acclaimed practitioner/educators